ISO/TS 29001 Petrochemical: Quality
Driving Quality throughout the Petroleum, Petrochemical and Natural Gas Industries
ISO/TS 29001 defines the quality management system requirements for the design, development, production, installation and service of products for the petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries.
Developed as a direct result of a partnership between ISO and the international oil and gas industry (led by the American Petroleum Institute (API), ISO 29001 specifically focuses on the oil and gas supply chain.
The ISO/TS 29001 standard is based on ISO 9001 and incorporates supplementary requirements emphasizing deviation prevention and the reduction of variation and waste from service providers.
These requirements have been developed separately to ensure that they are clear and audible. They also provide global consistency and improved assurance in the supply quality of goods and services from providers. This is particularly important when the failure of products or services have severe ramifications for the companies and industries involve
What is ISO/TS 29001?
ISO/TS 29001 provides additional requirements to ISO 9001 specifically intended for the petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries that is envisioned to become the common and unique basis for the industry's quality management system requirements worldwide.
ISO/TS 29001 was the result of collaboration between the American Petroleum Institute (API) and ISO technical committee ISO/TC 67. The new technical specification is available for use by manufacturers of oil industry equipment and materials (upstream and downstream), service providers to the oil and gas industry, purchasers of equipment, materials and services and organizations who could use the standard for assessments and certification.
What are the Benefits?
The new ISO/TS 29001 technical specification aims at the development of a quality management system that provides for continual improvement, emphasizing defect prevention and the reduction of variation and waste within the supply chain and from service providers.
Certification to ISO/TS 29001 offers a competitive advantage for your organization because it:
- is recognized globally as the best quality practices within the petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries
- enables you to work with organizations where it is a contractual obligation or expectation, potentially improving your market position against competitors
- can provide improved performance measurable in key metric areas such as less waste, reduced costs and improved product contributing towards increased customer satisfaction and improved supplier performance
- gives you a sound structure for internal development and continual improvement
- potentially reduces the need to comply with other differing petrochemical, petroleum or natural gas requirements and standards