The SA 8000 certification is the Social Accountability System standard. It is applicable to companies of any size that wish to address the social and ethical aspects of their business. A Social Accountability System proves to customers that the company holds adequate provisions for the protection of wokers' rights. Further, it ensures ethical production of all goods manufactured by the company.
SA 8000 is the first auditable standard in this field. The initiative is based on the well-known ISO 9001/ISO 14001 certification structure, conventions of the International Labour Organization (ILO), the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
SA 8000 KEY REQUIREMENTS
- Be senior management led.
- Be focused on continuous improvement.
- Be focused on prevention rather than reaction.
- Be supportive of workers & risqué; rights and workers participation.
- Be compliant with local laws/codes.
- Be proactive in promoting ethical sourcing.
- Be systematic in addressing problems-CARs Process.
Benefits of SA 8000 to manufacturers and suppliers
- Marketing advantage – more demand and value for goods from socially.
- Responsible manufacturers/suppliers.
- Enhancement of company & risqué ;s productivity.
- Compliance to the laws of the land.
- Improvement of relationship with the Govt., NGOs, trade unions.
- Better image and position in lab our market.
Benefits of SA 8000 for the retailers
- Cost reduction in monitoring.
- Better corporate image.
- Increased value for the products.
- Trust building with the analysts and investors when evaluated against social performance.